I collected some objects from Blackpool for mark making. They include a fork, feathers, shells, a small peice of beach wood, some small ivy leaves and foliage from the street flower beds. Using various coloured inks, dyes and a brayer, I painted on the paper and on the objects. I started mark making with my objects and attempted to make visual and actual texture with my marks.
Van Gogh used Markmaking in his pictures, the most famous one being ‘Starry night’.
Picture source: Wikipedia
Mark making slab pot ‘Ceramics’.
First we rolled out 4 peices of clay into slabs of the same thickness. The equal sized peices of wood either side of the cloth to guide us. We had to be careful not to make any bubbles as they will explode in the kiln. I used a couple of stones and a shell to make marks and texture to my slabs. They will be left to dry a couple of days before cutting into our desired designs.
While making the marks with the shell I decided to turn the shells position three times to make a clover style print and used the edge of the shell for the stork.
I designed a vase in the form of a simple Gravestone and in keeping with my ‘Document the day’ theme. I decided on the measurements I wanted my pot and allowed for shrinking in the kiln.
I measured the peices of clay for my designed piece but the slabs of clay i had previously marked and dryed were not quite big enough for what i had in mind. I didn’t let this deter me from my design, I just needed to make the larger parts of my designed piece bigger by attaching other pieces of clay.
Using the score and slip teqnique used in ceramics, I bonded the pieces of clay to make the larger pieces of my design and to bond my structure together.
I needed to pack out my structure during assemblage with newspaper to ensure it would stay where it needed to stay and not sink or bend.
I really love how the different marks made by the shells and stones really compliment each other when they are side by side, this is not in my original design drawing but I am pleased that the form developed this way.
I made the lid and cut holes big enough to put flowers in. I changed my design slightly and decided to leave spaces at each end of the lid so that i can place tealight candles and make the form multifunctional. Using a tool similar to a cheese grater I smoothed the edges and corners.
The form measures 20cm Tall, 23cm wide and 6cm deep. The clay is 5mm thick. The lid is 9.5cm depth and also 23cm wide.
The piece is now resting and will soon be ready for its first treatment in the kiln, it doesn’t look entirely different from my original design idea but the transformation i am pleased with.